Protect Your Dog Paws | The Pavement Is Too Hot
Your Dog Paws Are Sensitive
First things first
How to protect a cat or dog in heat from heat or sunstroke.
1. Do not leave the attached pet in the open sun on the street or in the car.
2. Take water with you for a walk or trip.
3. Wet the pet with water or cover with a wet towel.
4. The pet can be trimmed or combed. 5. At the first sign of heatstroke, contact your veterinarian.
Summer inevitably coming. The temperatures can reach well past 90 or even 100. Severe heat affects humans in a negative way, so dogs.
Which ones are more susceptible? First of all the dogs with short muzzle: bulldogs, boxers, griffons, Pekinese, etc. Dogs cool themselves with their thong. They don’t have any other way of cooling since they don’t excrete heat from their skin. So we must help them to cool down. A cool bottle of water works great by wetting the coat. But it might come as a surprise to most pet owners that the very pavement might be too hot for your dog’s paws and it’s very painful.
Asphalt, Concrete, Sand…
All of the above can get 50 -70 degrees hotter than any outside temperatures. I am sure it comes as a surprise to most. And we at Mobile Pet Spa | Dog Groomer have seen the consequences far too often. “Asphalt especially gets very hot and can burn your dog paws, in no time. Just an example. If the temps reach 83 degrees, the asphalt will get to 143. One thing you can do to check the pavement is to place your hand and hold it there for 10 sec. If you can do this without clinching its probably safe for your dog paws.
Tips on What You Can Do…
….to protect your furry friend.
- Don’t walk your dog in the middle of the day ( I know it’s obvious, but…). Instead, walk in the morning or evening when it’s cool.
- Grass works much better if it’s available in your neighborhood.
- Walk your dog outside when its cool to toughen its paws, this will thicken their skin and create a callus that will prevent cuts and bruises, and ( Mobile Pet Spa is always here to help) will naturally shorten the nail files.
- Put some doggie socks on for them. It works. ( Buy them at Natural Dog Company), tell em Mobile Pet Spa referred you.